Friday, December 3, 2010

Biggest Obstacle

I would have to say that my biggest obstacle in writing this final essay would have to deal with my thesis statement. I chose to talk about the question asking if electronic media will ever replace the written word. I have had trouble with my thesis statement because I want to completely agree or disagree, but I also want to take both sides. I am finding it very hard to try and agree or disagree without mixing in both. Another obstacle that I have run into is trying to break up my thoughts. I tend to write a paragraph, but the paragraph is a page long. I need to figure out how to slipt my paragraph up so it is not a long boring essay. I would much rather someone read multiple paragraphs instead of having to read one long reading.

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to take an extreme, one-sided position. Most arguments are not black and white, even though a lot of people approach them that way. The gray area in the middle is a good place to develop a thesis statement - but you have to be precise about what you agree and disagree with. Just saying "this phenomenon can be both good and bad" is not enough.

    As far as paragraphs go, just try to make each paragraph about one particular thing or sub-argument. Easier said than done, I know...you can always compose them first and then go back and break them up. You normally write fairly clearly, so I think you'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete